Thursday, July 31, 2008

Retreat

As I mentioned in my last post, we went on a retreat Monday - Wednesday this week. We went to a little fisherman's town about an hour from here called Barra de Sucatinga. Life is so simple out there. We stayed in the home of a family that we know out there... very simple home, but very big with lots of space for hammocks to sleep in. Since we have 3 small children, we were given an actual room to stay in with a double bed and our own bathroom. So we took the playpen along for Elysia and then the 4 of us slept on the bed the short way... Chad and I on either end and the 2 girls in the middle. Larissa was funny the 2nd night, waking up twice and talking in her sleep. The one time she told me that she lost her cough medicine and wondered where it was. I told her that it was all gone and that I needed to get more, and that was a good enough answer for her so she laid back down and went back to sleep. Bruce and Lyndell were also in a bedroom and then the rest (8 adults) slept in hammocks throughout the house... I wish I had pictures of that. Anyway, here are a bunch of pictures from our time.
I love the view of the beachfront here with all the fishing boats up on the shore.

Checking out the lobsters.
Giselle wasn't afraid to touch them (they were already dead).
"OK, I'll touch it, but I won't hold it up in the air!"

Here I am holding a live one - they're so colorful before they're cooked.

Here is Dona Graça, the lady of the house where we stayed. She is such a sweet and funny lady.

Not so sure about the lobsters!
Playing cards.
Fresh caught fish and eels... YUM!
This is the kitchen... see what I mean about simple? You can click on the picture to make it larger so you can see things a little better.
Larissa and Vanessa enjoying the beach!

Elysia wasn't afraid of the water.
had to cough just as I took the picture.
Daddy and one of his little girls.
Giselle is a little more courageous - she's out there on the left. We actually had to keep a close eye on her, because she was so confident out in the water. She does know how to swim, but still!
Some of the gang just relaxing.

No comments: